5th-Wheel Departure Checklist
1. If local sewer connection used go to holding tanks check list.
2. Furnace/air conditioner thermostat off.
3. Refrigerator off (unless it will be used with LP gas while traveling.
4. Refrigerator and freezer doors shut and locked.
5. All doors shut and secure including the closet and bedroom sliding door.
6. TV antenna retracted and points aligned.
7. All vents closed (4). And adjust side vents in garage as needed.
8. Stow all loose gear. Including Loft, Ladder and GARAGE.
9. Water pump off.
10. Windows closed.
11. Cabinet doors and drawers closed.
12. Slide check for obstacles inside and out, living room and bedroom, on floor and roof.
13. Retract slide with door, vent, or window open for air flow.
14. Close the above opening.
15. Perform walk through and secure any loose objects or furniture.
1. Tire covers and any equipment covers removed and stowed.
2. Outdoor rugs and mat stowed.
3. Any camping gear in campsite retrieved and stowed.
4. All water heater electrical switches off.
5. LP gas tank valves off.(Unless running refrigerator while traveling).
6. Awning stowed and locked and anchor equipment and rod stowed.
7. Shore power cord and equipment stowed. OR generator off.
8. Fill fresh water tank with 10-15 gallons of water.
9. Stow fresh water hose regulator and filter equipment.
10. FW doors and tailgate locked and STEPS RETRACTED.
11. Check campsite for items on tables, clotheslines, etc.
12. Perform walk around inspection (check tires for proper pressure, lug nut torque on FW and truck, maneuvering clearance, hitch, steps and other hazards.
1. Check tire inflation and lug nuts tight on TRUCK and FW.
2. Connect FW battery.
3. Preflight TRUCK, FW, and HITCH bolts and connectors.
4. Adjust tow vehicle mirrors.
5. Check FORWARD STORAGE DOOR is closed and locked before backing truck.
6. Retract REAR STABILIZERS.
7. Dump air bags truck and hitch, Adjust Kingpin Height using landing gear to proper hitch height of truck.
8. Approach hitching position.
9. OPEN HITCHING BAR.
10. Slowly back Tow Vehicle into Kingpin making sure Hitch auto locks.
11. Visually check KINGPIN LOCK BAR IS LOCKED ,eight o'clock position on hitch bar.
12. Connect Electrical cord and Breakaway cable.
13. Verify all lights are operable.
14. Pull forward with truck to make sure Kingpin is locked to hitch.
15. Check that trailer brakes are adjusted and the proper brake controller lights are illuminated.
16. Set parking brake.
17. RETRACT LANDING GEAR.
18. Remove chocks and wheel vise (2) and stow.
19. Check and close all storage doors and lock.
20. Walk around both vehicles to inspect and VERIFY THAT THE LANDING GEAR, TAILGATES - (if applicable), STABILIZERS AND STEPS ARE UP prior to driving.
HOLDING TANK OPERATION:
1. If at camp site with sewer hooked up ( Rubber Gloves).
a. Clean toilet bowl and sinks. Flush and rinse well irrigating Black and Grey water tanks.
b. Open Black Water Valve and empty tank then open Grey Water Valve 1 and empty tank then open Grey Water Valve 2 and empty tank.
c. Connect fresh water flush with sewer clean up hose and flush tank until water clears at sewer drain.
d. Close Valves (Black and both Grey Water) and charge the tanks with deodorant and 2-3 gallons of water. (use ice cubes if sludge build up)
e. Don't forget to turn off water pump!!!
f. Stow all hoses and equipment used.
2. If you go to dump station. Clean toilet and sinks before leaving camp site.
a. Upon arrival get the required equipment out (sewer hose and sewer water hose for flush)
b. Remove campground drain cap and attach FW sewer hose to FW and drain.
c. FOLLOW THE PROCEDURES OUTLINED ABOVE......in item 1 beginning with b.
d. MAKE SURE STEPS ARE UP AND DOORS ARE CLOSED AND LOCKED before driving.
Compliments of Hogrydr (Jim)